Check Engine light and War story

I have been lurking here a while and thought it was time to peek my head
out a little...

QUESTION: I have a Red '95 Jetta GLX that is my daily driver. It has 81K
miles and the check engine light has started coming on. Still runs great,
but it intermittantly comes on. Think it is the O2 sensor? Anyone know how
I can read the ECU's error codes with my voltmeter?

WAR STORY: On the way home from the Import ShootOut at Englishtown, NJ on
Saturday (no, I did not race my Jetta, nor my RX-7...not feeling like it) I
had some "skippy" FLY past me (100PMH+) in a early model Supra Turbo then
stand on the brakes and merge into traffic (he did not have to merge...made
no sense). Not thinking much of it, eventually I was next to him. He was
gawking over at me (or perhaps my girlfriend) and started pacing me. I
yanked the ol' girl down to 3rd and accerlerated a little. He matched my
speed so....WOT, and watched the revs climb. Took third to 105 MPH, he's
about 1 car length behind. Speed shifted into forth, he's about 2 lengths
back, 5th I TOTALLY walked him. About 130 I let off, he apparently then
broke his car and had to pull off.
MORAL: Not much hangs with the Jetta from a third gear punch. Well, perhaps
my RX-7 TT!   ;-)

ps. Jetta has exhaust, chip and intake.