Re[2]: [gti-vr6] BEETLE SIGHTING

     Tischer VW in Laurel, MD has 3 New Beetles in stock (and on hold for a
     mile long list of customers).  I checked out the one they have on the
     showroom floor and picked up the sales brochures (they had a full
     rack).  They are nice cars with good build quality and have a lot of
     cool touches.  The only areas that I feel it lacks in are cargo room
     when the back seat is used and rear seat headroom (your head hits the
     rear window).  Of course, the Bug never had any cargo or rear seat room
     and they sold millions of 'em, so what do I know!

     The engine bay is real tight but I was told that the front end of the
     car is easily removed to access the front of the engine (gotta love
     those German engineers).  They come with standard with 16" steel
     wheels and alloys are optional (not sure if 4 or 5 bolt).  The 1.8 T
     will have 17s.  Can't wait to drive one!

     Greg Coombs
     '88 Jetta GLI 16V
     '82 Pickup
     Shopping for a GLX

The woman and I were on the way to the theater last night ("Twilight" - don't
bother!!)
when I remembered the local VW dealer was just around the corner.. it was after
closing time, and they had a white Beetle sitting outside up near the entrance
to the
showroom.  We got to give it the once-over up close, although didn't get to get
inside
(obviously).  My reaction?  I like it.  The dashboard is way, way too deep
(about a mile
between the dash and the windshield), the front headroom is hideously
expansive.. but
overall I like the package.  I want to drive the 1.8T when it comes out!!  That
thing
oughtta be a hoot..

- --
Kevin Collins