beatracker info request- OFF LIST please

would someone please answer some questions about the
Beartracker i've heard so much about here... off list please.

questions
1. how well do these things work? are police cars constantly
sending off a detectable signal (homing beacon) or are these
scanner only picking up the repeater tones generated when
there is incoming/outgoing communication? basically my main
concern is that if they're only picking up the repeater tones it's
basically too late, because they're probably notifying base that
they're about to pull someone (me) over, and radioing in their
(my) plate numbers.

2. are these devices capable of picking up the actual
communication, or does it just sound a tone when there is
activity on the air? ie, do you hears actual police calls?

3. i'm considering the BCT-12. is this an effective tool for
police avoidance? (see question #1) it will eventually be used
with a V1 when i can pay down my VISA a little more, but
initially it will be used alone.

spank me hard- REAL hard