'98 GLX

I just returned from driving a '98 GLX, black, black leather, 5spd, moonroof,
abs, traction control, cd changer, etc. - and loved it!  I thought that the
sport seats might be too uncomfortable - but, neither me nor my co-driving
companion even thought twice about them!

He has a bad back, so if one of us would have at least noticed, it would have
been him.  But, we both agreed (afterwards, when I happened to think about it)
that they were very, very comfortable.

And, after driving (and originally considering) the 2.0 Wolfsburg 5spd, I must
say I like the GLX - it will scoot!

The suspension was a bit looser for the amount of power involved, but that's
nothing a set of springs and shocks wouldn't cure!

It hung in the curve very respectibly, but didn't take a set of railroad tracks
as well as the Audi A4 that I took on the same road - which, being such a good
handler, says lots about how the GLX handles.  Again, the lower springs/stiffer
shocks would help tame this, too.  It wasn't out of control or anything, just a
little more loose - but, tight as a drum.

I liked it - and, two VW dealers are offering GLX's like the one I drove for 24
months, $239/mo.  Not bad!

Chip Mautz - impressed test driver
Atlanta, Ga, USA