Re: shoot the shift

I second that.  Down shifting used to be necessary to slow the car down back
in the days when sports cars (like all other cars) had very ineffective
brakes.  Back then, they really needed the engine's braking effect.  Modern
cars have such effective brakes that downshifting does not provide any
additional stopping power.  However, old habits die hard, & therefore, many
people still believe in downshifting to slow the car.  For instance, my dad
taught me that downshifting was necessary when I was learning to drive a
manual shift car.  It is only necessary to downshift in brisk driving in
order to set the car up for a corner.  I still downshift on the street just
to stay in practice for Club Racing.  I try to have as much of my braking
done as possible before I downshift, but I try to have the shift completed &
the car settled before I start to turn in.  My technique is still
inconsistent.  This takes a lot of practice.

By the way, I've heard that some people (not in the U.S.) have increased the
displacement of their VR6's to 3.1.  Does anyone on the list have any
experience with this?  Is the VR6 a wet sleeve engine in which you can
simply drop in new cylinders, or is it necessary to have the block bored by
a machine shop?  Also, about how much would this cost (including pistons)?

Just curious & looking long term.

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX