Re: ABS light coming on

Hi,
I have the same problem occur with my ABS light. It only happens when I am
driving on trips in excess of 1 hour or so. Every time I'm feeling
comfortable with the trip, I'll take a glance over and that damn ABS light
will be on! It'll stay on for the remainder of the day usually and will not
shut off until the car has had a good 12 hours or so of rest, which is when
I usually start the car the following morning. The dealer says there is
nothing that they can check for unless the light comes on and stays on.
There is no track record or memory with the fault codes. A friend of mine
who is a VW mechanic had mentioned once to me that the light may come on if
you are pumping the brakes a lot, similar to a tremendous amount of stop and
go traffic. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it had something to
do with pressure building up in the brakes which threw off the ABS sensors,
and that the only way to release this pressure is to just let the car sit
for a while. This is sort of in-line with my personal experiences with the
ABS light because usually by that 1 hour that I'm into the trip I'm right
around the city (NYC) or just getting passed it. There is a ton of traffic
usually and of course I'm using the brakes like crazy. But, like I said, the
following morning the light is always off and the ABS brakes are working
fine again. I'd say not to worry about it.
Take care,
-FlyinVR6
96 Jetta GLX
ICQ# 8994103