ABS light coming on

This question is for Don (or anyone else who can help),

I noticed the ABS light started coming on last week. It doesn't come on
right away. Usually after the car has been running a while and then the
next time I start the car it is off. I can find no pattern to its
behavior.

My question is this: Is it worth taking in to the dealer at this stage
since most likely the light will not be on when they look at the car? I
hate to pay for a "could not reproduce problem" by the dealer. Does the
ECU have a memory function for ABS fault codes so that the dealer can see
what has happened or do I have to wait until it is on all the time? Hate
to do that since I assume that the light being means that the ABS is not
functioning.

Your thoughts appreciated,

John Darwak
'97 Jetta GLX Sequoia/Biber beige