Re: Whipple mount impressions/ concerns

I think I was the first person to buy the bushings from Jason so here's my
input:

ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:

>      I wanted to post this to get feed back from others that have put on
>      the mount.  I sent a copy to Jason and am waiting to here his
>      thoughts.  Let me know if you guys have notice the problems I have and
>      if you can recomend a fix
>      Andy Atwell
>
>      Cons:
>      1. When starting in 1st gear at slow speeds, (not really
>      excellerating) like in a parking lot setting, there is a
>      clunking/knocking sound heard at the end of the clutch travel (out).

Something similar started happening in my GTI b/f my original bushing blew
out. At first it was only in the mornings then it started happening all the
time. The new bushings did not help or hurt the situation. Whenever I do
not give the car enough gas in 1st I get a vibration. It's not violent and
I do not feel it through the clutch pedal (not slipping). Its more through
the steering wheel, but its emanating from somewhere else, like in the dash
or something mounted on the firewall. Not my ECU, I checked. On cold nights
in slow traffic or when I've just started my car I can feel a rattle when I
hit bumps. Maybe its the rear motor mount bushings? Dunno on that one.

>      2. a motor movement/shifting feel and squeak/rubbing sound can be
>      heard when turning the steering wheel lock to lock (when pulling into
>      a drive way, or parking lot etc).

Do you have a swaybar w/polyurethane bushings? Try spraying some Super Lube
teflon spray or something similar on it to try it out. This could easily be
suspension related.

As far as the fit, I'll check mine out tomorrow and compare the diameter to
the stock bushing. Neither are snug against the sides though. Did you use a
torque wrench to install the bushings? I did and rechecked everything after
the bushings had been on there a few months and everything was still snug.

I've been afraid to mention the vibration to the dealer b/c I'm afraid
they'll have to tear apart my currently quiet dash and it would never be
the same after that.

- --
Philip Meadows Jr.
pm@onramp.net