Re: First AutoX

Hi,

First thing. Have fun and try to meet as many people as possible. Try to
hook up with one of the experienced guys (or gals) and have them show you
around. This will make your first autox much more fun. Otherwise it could
be like hanging out in the corner at a party.

>1) The emblem/logo on the '97+ wheels...is that something that can
>   be removed?

Don't worry about it.

>2) Can someone who races a stock GLX give me some idea on tire
>   pressures?

Are you on the stock GA's? If so, what I ran last year was ~50 up front
and either 35 or 50 in the back. Now, you ask why those pressures?? I'm
glad you asked.
a) Up front with the GA's you have to be very concious of rollover. If
not you'll possibly roll the tire off the rim or at least chew up your
sidewalls.

b) in the back I played around with both pressures over the year. Both
pressures help balance out the handling of the car by making the back of
the car less sticky than the front. The higher pressure will make the
breakaway happen more rapidly than the lower, but the lower might feel
"mushy". I'd recommend the lower pressure for your first time or two
until you get used to the driving (spins are no fun).

If you are not on the GA's depending on your tire sidewall stiffness, you
might be able to lower the front and rear (high number only) pressures
some.

The absolute best way to find out your correct tire pressues (other than
a pyrometer) is to take some shoe polish (the event should have some) and
mark your tires at 3 or 4 spots orund the edge where the tread meets the
sidewall. If you have pressures too low, the polish will be rubbed off
the sidewalls, too much and some will still be left on the tread edge.
Someone at the event should be able to help you with this.

>3) Any other tips?  This will be the first time I've driven my baby
>   really hard, so it should be fun. :-)

Like I said earlier, hook up with one of the local hotshoes and follow
him/her like a puppy. Meet people and get to know the routine. Help out
after the event and just have fun. It's addicting!!

Mike

Mike Shields
SCCA Utah Region
GStock 1997 Black Jetta GLX