Warranty Claims and Assumed Trickery -Reply

>>> "George Achorn" <coolidge@tidalwave.net> 01/23/98 08:16am >>>
>The guy asks me "Is this the one with the chip in it?". Now since
>there is no chip I reactively say no, I've got no chips in my cars. Then I
>realize he phrased that in a leading way, trying to get me to screw up I
>presume.

This part of your post caught my attention, since I do not have an
aftermarket chip either.
I took my 96 GLX to VW service this morning for 37,500 checkup and for
power locks repair.  Hopefully, VW will cover the expense, since I
reported the previously intermittent problem within 24,000 mile warranty
period.  I'll let you know if that worked out OK or not...   Previous dealer
could not diagnose the problem, since it was intermittent.

Anyway, out of curiosity, I asked the service representative if they
endorse or perform any aftermarket mods on VW.  He said: "No, we use
only VW original parts...  we do not want to deal with liability associated
with aftermarket parts, which would void the warranty anyway."
?1?
After some more discussion, he kinda agreed that the aftermarket
part(s) have to be a PROVEN cause of whatever problem, in order for
any warranty to be voided.

I was not surprised by his attitude.  Apparently, dealers will try to blame
problems on any modification performed on the engine, rather than doing
the right thing and being totally honest with customers.

Vojin