Oil consumption!?!?

Folks,

I have an urgent question.  This weekend my oil idiot light came on
briefly in a turn and then went back out. I consequently and quickly put
three quarts(!!) of oil in my engine.  My car has not shown any evidence
of leaking oil at any time.  Where's it going!?  I've never seen any
smoke from the exhaust and my friends who have followed me have never
mentioned any.  Is it at all normal for the VR6 to consume over 3 quarts
of oil between oil changes (6 months / 7500 miles)?

Don what does VW consider to be an acceptable rate of consumption for
this motor, if any.  When I brought it up to my dealer once the service
lead gave me some outrageous technical value, I forget the unit of
measure used, but when I worked it out on paper it came out to something
like 5 to 6 qrts of oil for 7000 miles.  That service lead has since
left. :)

I'm taking the car in Wednesday, any advise folks.

My old 73 mustang didn't consume this much oil!

Help,

Joe