Re: The Cone...the one in the airbox...

Has anyone determined by testing if removing the cone does offer
some power benefit?  I think Uwe was going to test the air box
mod by implementing it one step at a time and seeing if there is
a difference.

It would seem that the snow screen would definately limit airflow
but I wonder how much/if any difference the cone removal makes.

Cheers,

> The cone in the airbox is actually a Hemholtz resonator, and it
isn't
> intended to jack for the sound of the car.  A few of you out there
may be
> familiar with the term Hemholtz tuning.  it has to do with the
vibrations
> created in the intake system due to the opening and closing of the
intake
> valves.  By the process known as Hemholtz Tuning, you can get the
intake
> charge to be at a pressure greater than 1 atm.  This is the
principle
> tuned intakes (Schrick, VW VSR...) work on.  Now, that resonator is
put
> there for this very purpose.  What rpm is it tuned to?  Who (outside
VW
> enginnering) knows.  My point is that by losing the cone, with the
intake
> system in stock configuration, you ARE DEFINATELY going to LOSE HP
at
> some rpm.  You may or may not get gains at any other rpm to offset
this.

- ---
Jeff Newton