A4 Tuning/Driving Impressions (Long)

I just got back from working on my friend's Audi A4 1.8TQ.  I must say, it
was not fun.  He sent out his computer to get upgraded, and ordered a cone
filter conversion from Total Audi Performance (TAP).  TAP has a way to go
in terms of giving good instructions.  First, they said removing the
computer was just a matter of removing 4 screws.  I had to take off his
wipers, the plastic covers at the bottom of his windshield, 5 screws, and a
bracket before I even got to the computer.  Putting it back in was easy.

Second, their cone filter conversion (using a Jamex filter) was not that
great.  They didn't put in detail how many screws needed to be removed
before you can really get the air box out.  They had no mention of the
vacuum hose attached to the air box.  And their bracket, while shaped well,
did not have the right size holes for the screws they sent.  I had to drill
some of the holes larger, and we had to run to Home Depot to buy some
screws because they sent two that were to large for what they were supposed
to be used for. And the air filter they sent, we had to squeeze it onto the
MAF sensor.

When I finally did get it together, I was quite impressed.  The car pulled
very hard in every gear.  The filter made an aggressive intake noise, but
it was not as loud the VR6.  It sounded especially nice when the turbo
started to spool up.  Everyday drivability was maintained, and the torque
curve was definitely fatter.  In fifth gear at about 2000 rpms, the engine
pull was credible.  The car is about 1 second faster to 60, and it's a joy
to drive on the highway.

Different topic - On my way home (in my GLX), I passed an older model
Eclipse turbo.  After I passed him (at 80 mph), he got on my bumper.  I
flashed my rear fog light at him, and then took off.  I pulled away from
him in the beginning, but I slowed down because we were going over a hill
which we couldn't see over.  He stayed on my bumper, until we got over the
hill.  I nailed it again, this time in a curvy section of the road.  He
didn't even attempt to keep up.  I slowed after opening a good size gap.
 As I approached the highway interchange, he was behind me again.  He
stayed there until we got to the next highway, when he decided to cross
over the solid white line to get a jump on me.  There was a car in front of
me, so I waited for him to pass, then I swept over and nailed it.  He got a
good jump on me, but I gained ground very quickly.  I passed him at 120mph
(and still going).  All he could do was look over with a smile on his face
and put his thumb up.

Marc