Re: '98 Bose CD Changer installation report

At 01:10 AM 2/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Stefan,
>
>that is what I recently did to my vehicle, I had been waiting on P.I.E.
>to release the adapter VW97-PAN for 4 months.  The only difference was
>Best Buy is selling the Panasonic CD changer CX-DP 601 EUC for $149.95
>then for $129.95, I'm told that they are not carrying the Panasonic line
>and are willing to get rid of them.   There is a company which sells CD
>changer covers or enclosures which serve as an extra deterrant against
>dust and accidental bumping of the system.  Unfortunately, I can't
>remember the company but if anyone's interested, E-Mail me and I'll dig
>up the information.  It is similiar to the one in the BMW accessory
>catalog.  The color choices are black and gray, and the cost is $30.00.
>
>Take Care,
>
>David Kim
>1997 Vento GLX
>

>Stefan Hudson wrote:
>>
>> I finally got the CD Changer working in my '98 GLX... here's a quick
>> report on what was necessary.
>>
>> I got the changer from QVC.  It's part number CX-DP601, for $239 or
>> so.  It's listed at http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?ProductE46374
>>
>> I got the adapter from a local auto stereo dealer.  You need PIE
>> (http://www.pie.net/) part number VW97-PAN.  I payed $50, but you
>> could probably do better than that.  It took forever to get it because
>> they ordered the wrong one the first time (VW-PAN is NOT what you want
>> if you have the cable in the trunk), and some other screwups.
>>
>> You could probably build your own adapter from the long cable that comes
>> with the changer; I'd bet that the pinouts are the same as the short
>> adapter, but I havn't checked.
>>
>> I mounted the changer horizontally on the left side of the trunk, on
>> the little "shelf" that is there, behind the tail light.  It keeps it
>> nicely out of the way.  I drove on the Bot's Dots at various speeds,
>> and went over a couple railroad tracks, and it didn't skip once.
>>
>> The changer needs +12VDC, which is aparently not available on the
>> pre-wired cable.  I got it from the amplifier; the think red wire
>> is 12VDC constant.  I wonder how they do this with the factory
>> changer.
>>
>> It sounds great, much better than a good radio station.  There was
>> a little bit of engine noise in silent sections at high volume, but
>> grounding the changer as the instructions indicate would probably
>> solve that.
>>
>> However, if I was doing it over again, I'd replace the head unit and
>> get a compatable changer.  The stock head unit isn't that great.  I
>> payed around $300 for the changer and cable, and I could get a good
>> head unit and changer for a little over $400.
>>
>> --
>>      /// Stefan Hudson <hudson@mbay.net>
>> __  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet
>> \\\/// http://www.mbay.net/  -  Email: info@mbay.net
>>  \XX/ Voice: 408-642-6100  Fax: 408-642-6101  Modem: 408-642-6102

I have several Geniune VW CD wiring harnesses. I am a Master VW/Audi
technician working in a VW/Audi dealership.  Beginning in 1997 the cars
were pre wired. The CD changers we were installing came with the factory
harness. Since the cars had the wire I kept them.
They are for sale at $25.00

Don

deecee@exit109.com