From: owner-gti-vr6@cobra.ccsi.com
[mailto:owner-gti-vr6@cobra.ccsi.com]On Behalf Of Bob Tillman
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 1:54 PM
To: gkoliopoulos@molex.com
Cc: 'GTI VR6 List'
Subject: Re: [gti-vr6] Re:Rear brake caliper

gkoliopoulos@molex.com wrote:

> It seems that my E-brake will not fully disengage, the right rear
> caliper sticks, any one have a remedy for this problem?

Two things come to mind:

1) Where do you live?  Has it been below freezing lately?  The little
rubber boot at the end of the e-brake cable at the caliper will often
rip, and let in water.  If the temperature gets below freezing, the
cable can freeze in the 'engaged' position.

2) How old is your car?  How many miles?  Do you set the parking brake
every time you park?  If it's got a few miles on it, and the brake isn't
exercised regularly, the e-brake mechanism in the caliper might be
corroded or gummed up.  Unfortunately the best fix is to replace the
caliper, and replace both rears together if you can.  I had to do that
to my '89 GTI.  I can't remember how much the rebuilt calipers cost, but
it was on the order of $150 to $200, plus a couple hours to do the job.
(A pro could probably do it faster.)

First, check for the torn boot.  You'll have to replace the whole cable,
but it's easy to do yourself and only about $20 for the part and an hour
of your time.

Good luck,
- Bob T.
  '96 GTI VR6