Re: Jetta GLX under body design flaw (long but good)

At 03:31 PM 12/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Just took my six month old Jetta GLX the VW dealer
>because it was leaking gas from underneath the
>car. Now, I'm no engineer but, I do know a little
>about fluids & dynamics. I would love to talk to
>the Volkswagen engineer that designed the underbody
>to my Jetta and educuate him/her a little. There are 3
>fuel related lines that run from the rear (gas tank)
>of the car to the front of the car. One (black) line
>is the main feeder line that carries gas to the engine.
>The second (white) line is a vapor recovery line or
>return line; while the third (blue) is a air line.
>The problem is that all of these lines are exposed to
>the elements, not housed or insulated and there fucken
>(pardon my French) plastic.
>
>As far as I know, and as many cars I've worked on, uni-
>body and all, I have never seen EXPOSED PLASTIC gas lines
>mounted to the underbody of a car. When they are exposed
>they should be made of steel. If that is not the case,
>typically, fuel lines are run along/in the frame, chasis,
>or in the undertray completely protected from the elements.
>Obviously, the Volkswagen engineers don't think this is
>necesary. Well, they should because mine was slightly cut
>when I ran over a (small diameter) tree branch that I could
>not avoid. Clearly, if the lines were run properly or made
>of steel this would not have been a problem. Could it be
>an explosive matter?
>
>I don't know if some of you remember the problems that the
>Volkswagen Bug had during its hay day (60's) but, let me
>tell you... Several people lost their lives when their bug
>exploded because of a fuel line design flaw. There was a time
>when they ran fuel lines over the exhaust manifold. Well, I
>guess Volkswagen did not learn their lesson. This is a real
>danger.
>
>If any of you have a chance, take a look under your Jetta
>to see what I'm talking about. Look on the right (passenger)
>hand side near the rear wheels. They also hang down a little.
>toward the rear wheel. Please notice that near the engine they
>are housed in the undertray. Well thats how it should be all
>the way through to the rear with small access inlets for service
>access. Oh well.
>
>Now, I just hope my dealer will fix this under the two year
>warrenty bumper to bumper plan and not say that this was a
>road hazzard or act of god. The problem is clearly a design
>flaw. Just poor engeering.
>
>We'll keep ya posted,
>Tony

Tony, First the reason for the plastic lines is to eliminate the
possibility of  rust in the fuel system. If you notice approximately 90% of
the entire fuel system is plastic. Less chance of corrosion. The fuel lines
must meet federal requirements for strength. They are routed outside the
body to eliminate the possibility of fuel inside the passenger compartment
and ease of assembly in production.  The Type I had the fuel line  run
inside the tunnel back to the engine. The line would rust inside and than
leak fuel.  The replacement involved routing a new line outside of the
tunnel and along the floor pan.  The only reason the Type I had fire
problems is not because of the location but more due to lack of maintenance
by the owner. Fuel leaks + spark plug wire arching = fire.

It's a shame that you had a problem, but from a warranty point of view I
would be very surprised if the dealer covered the part. After we replace a
part under warranty VWOA in Michigan can request the part for inspection. I
have never replaced a fuel line under warranty. I am sure if VWOA saw the
claim for a fuel line they would definitely want to see the defective part.
When they inspect the part and see the defect is from an outside influence
they will debit the dealer for the claim. Because it is not a warranty matter.

Don

VWDealer@onelist.com