Re: Jetta GLX under body design flaw (long but good)

>Obviously, the Volkswagen engineers don't think this is
>necesary. Well, they should because mine was slightly cut
>when I ran over a (small diameter) tree branch that I could
>not avoid. Clearly, if the lines were run properly or made
>of steel this would not have been a problem. Could it be
>an explosive matter?

>Now, I just hope my dealer will fix this under the two year
>warrenty bumper to bumper plan and not say that this was a
>road hazzard or act of god. The problem is clearly a design
>flaw. Just poor engeering.
>
>We'll keep ya posted,
>Tony

Hi Tony

Sorry to hear bout your troubles but I feel I need to make a point  here.
Many times good engineering judgement loses out to the penny pinchers. I see
it happen almost everyday. As Don can attest,  I would not put it beyond VW
to try to save a few dollars by having those lines made out of plastic or
installing them properly in a shielded location. It all comes down to
liabilities vs. benefits.

A few dollars saved by management per car * a million cars = a few million
dollars saved that the same VW management can happily put in their pockets
as they laugh all the way to the bank :)

Jose

And yes I do agree your dealer shpuld fix it. Just don't tell 'em about the
tree.