Re: Jetta GLX under body design flaw (long but good)

At 3:31 PM -0800 12/10/98, Tony Dipalma wrote:
>Well, they should because mine was slightly cut
>when I ran over a (small diameter) tree branch that I could
>not avoid. Clearly, if the lines were run properly or made
>of steel this would not have been a problem. Could it be
>an explosive matter?

>Now, I just hope my dealer will fix this under the two year
>warrenty bumper to bumper plan and not say that this was a
>road hazzard or act of god. The problem is clearly a design
>flaw. Just poor engeering.

Tony-

That is pretty amazing. With all the wind storms we had in the northwest, I
have run over a couple of these seemingly "innocuous" little branches in
the road. I've slowed down, and tried to avoid them, reasonably, anyway,
but now I think I'm going to be a little more careful.

The least they could have done was to route them up near the chassis, as
you so succinctly point out. The lines don't have to be steel, but they
could at least even be TWIST TIED to a metal shaft to provide structural
shielding and rigidity.

-Khan

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                                       Verio
Network Engineer                                    Bellingham Branch Office
Tel 800.591.2757 x 13                                    725 N. State Street
Fax 360.738.8315                                        Bellingham, WA 98225