Tiptronic (was Re: GLX -Automatic ONLY?!?!?! What da &%$#

I think for people that have driven automatics all thier lives, the tip
is cool.  It lets them hit the gears and have a little fun.  But for me,
I was always looking for the clutch...  felt real awkward.  And antways,
my friends Tip Passat 1.8t runs better times when left in D, as opposed
to shifting the thing himself.  Not only did it run faster, it ran the
exact same time, twice in a row, 10.97 in the 1/8, then an 11 somthing
in Tip, then another 10.97 in D.