Tire Suggestions?(new)

I am going through the 2nd winter on my stock GA's, the 1st winter
the tires were pretty new so no problems.  Now I have about 22.5k
on the tires, and let me tell how bad they suck, let alone they are
down right scary when it's raining.  I also from the last rain storm
want to change over to some new tires.  I saw the previous
suggestions, and would agree with the choices that other Jetta
owners suggested.  Although the Bridgestone RE71's being a
pretty good tire, aren't they a little on the "old technology" side
now?  They have been around for a # of years now.  I would like
to purchase a tire that runs smooth, handles very well,
and behaves in the rain. The weather is mostly dry in my region,
except winter time we'll see about 20-33 inches of rain.

Later.......
Talat
97 GLX
Blk/Blk