Re: Bore v. Stroke (Last Long Post I Promise)

Mark,

In general, VW's longer stroke engines generate more torque and should
breath better. Coupled with 5 valve technology giving cylinder head better
swirl characteristics for combustion of fuel, however, this engine design
doesn't adapt as well for high RPM's.
Short stroke engines of course have higher potential RPM in the design. I
notice you didn't post the torque ratings?  If your looking at engine design
parametrics both HP and torque should be compared. One thing you will notice
in comparing various european manufacturers:
MB likes big bores, BMW has shorter stroke engines ie. higher RPM potential
in design,
VW/Audi has long stroke engines with higher proportional torque however
lower RPM potential
in design.  I had an article around here somewhere which covers engine
design parametrics  in detail but I can't find it right this minute.

Dr. Bob

E-Mail

Home: rmalinka@spec.net

Work: rmalinka@fairchild.lmco.com