Re: Issues of Engine Reliability (LONG AND TECHNICAL BUT INTERESTING!)

Mark,

I found your analysis on engine reliability versus over speed tolerance of
the engine design to be very interesting. You must be an engineer by trade I
assume?  Don't worry I come from a family of engineers and I recognize the
thought pattern you expressed to examine the topic.  Anyway, your analysis
is interesting with regard to piston ring displacement due to over speed.

Many years ago while in a completely different profession as a service
manager and rep. of a diesel service company, we sold (central distributors
for OEM), serviced fuel injection systems both gas (BMW [Kugelfischer])and
diesel (Robert Bosch, American Bosch, CAV, Lucas, Perkins,Yanmar, GM Diesels
including 671's on up, Maxidyne [as used in Mack Trucks by U.S. Post Office
and UPS] up through large diesels in ships). This included both normally
aspirated as well as turbos. My principal customers were large fleet
operators which included UPS, U.S. Post Office, Scheaffer Brewery [when they
were still in Brooklyn on Kent Ave], Perth Amboy Shipyards, Columbia
University Research Vessel, Exxon Tankers, and many public works operations
(really large engines that you could stand in the cylinder head).  In all my
experiences seeing hundreds of tear-downs and rebuilds [which also included
cement mixer engines that would over speed due to down shifting coming off
the large bridges in the NY area and literally blow up or runaways due to
governor failure] extreme high speed was always detrimental to the life of
an engine. The life of the engine, both gas and diesel, was always a direct
result of the speeds at which the engine was run.  The higher the RPM up
near redline the more wear and eventual damage or catatrosphic failure.
Needless to say service intervals for lubricants and changing filters were
essential to the life of the engine, which is why I am a strong advocate for
synthetic oils in our VWs.

Basically if you keep your revs under control and don't live in the redline
area (7300 RPM for the VR6 being much to high as you observed) your engine
will live a long service life.
Now don't get me wrong here I love to rev these VW engines just like the
rest of you. All I'm saying is that you have to exercise prudent control of
RPM's.  Fortunately as you indicated our VW engines are robust in design to
ensure long life provided that you service the car regularly at prescribed
intervals.

One thing that I was thinking while reading your comments on over speed
tolerance of the engine design has anyone done a teardown of the Honda GSR/R
Type engine?  I was wondering how robust that design is compared to the VR6?
The reason I am asking is because the GSR/R Type engine has the highest
production piston speed RPM redline that I know of for production cars. I
know the engines are all aluminum with special cylinder sleeves and all
but what about down below, the main journal bearings, connecting rod and so
on?  These areas must under go tremendous stress ordinately higher than the VR6.

My 2 cents...

Dr. Bob