Re: Miles per gallon...

That mileage sounds normal to me.  Last weekend I drove from San Diego to
Burbank (north LA) and averaged 30.1mpg on the way up with ave speed of
78mph per MFA - this was with the obligatory 100+ run thru Oceanside (Is
the white glx with 17" wheels 5north fri 1pm by Autotech on the list?)
and a few typical LA slam-the-brakes episodes.  I must have had a
tailwind on the way up though cause my roundtrip ave was 28.6mpg

That said, I think comparing vr6 fuel efficiency is silly for several
reasons:
1.  road surfaces have a drastic effect on mileage
2.  everyone has different driving habits
3.  modifications such as chips and tires make a difference
4.  the vr6 is a gas guzzler!!!

Decent tires will not only remove torque steer, but also every other
crappy characteristic of the GAs.  I cringe reading about the stock 130+
rev-limiter runs, I remember feeling pretty UNsafe with the crapyears at
that speed - it's a whole different "confidence inspiring" experience
with z-rated tires.  I digress....

Rob
97 Blurple Vento VR6
Garrett 08, K&N panel w/ modded box
Dunlop SP 4000, Eclipse 5341 /BOSE
AMS Keyless

>Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:22:31 -0500
>From: Chuck Simpson <csimpson@zeltech.com>
>Subject: Miles per gallon...

>Hi folks,

>About a week ago someone was wondering how I
was getting such great gas mileage when driving on
the freeway/highway.  During the weekend, I drove
from Norfolk, VA to Washington D.C. and back and
my MFA registered 29.8mpg during my trip.  I was
driving around 75-85 mph and sometimes drove it
a bit faster at about 95 mph.  Just to make sure the
MFA was correct, I filled the tank before I left and
reset the MFA.  I drove 360.5 miles before the
next refill and had to use 12.097 gallons... that came
out to be 29.8007 mpg which is what the MFA said.
I thought cool!

But here is the kicker....  When I first bought the
car, it turned out the alignment was off a bit.  The
mechanic ended up adjusting my "toe" to zero (I
think).  He mentioned this should cause me to
get better gas mileage and longer life on my
tires.  It seems to be working, but I'm wondering
if this can be a problem for anything else?  I do
notice more torque-steer during acceleration... and
THAT SUCKS!  But the mpg increase rocks ass!

I usually get between 23-24 mpg during city
driving.

What do you think...  Did I make a mistake by
accepting this alignment setting?

- -Chuck Simpson
'98 White Jetta GLX-VR6

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]