Bearcat Scanners

OK guys here's the deal.  I am going on vacation next week and I plan on
doing a long road trip.  I plan on going up to Killington, Vermont to the
mountain for some downhill biking for a day or so.  And I than plan to drive
down to Virginia Beach and stay down there for the rest of the week and then
drive back home (NY).  All this talk about the Bearcat and CB's has me
thinking.  With all this driving, I am going to be excellent prey for the
Interstate smokeys.  I have a CB in my old car collecting dust.  Right now I
am only using a radar detector, which will be illegal in Virginia.  Is the
Bearcat also illegal?  I need to know does it really work? (The Bearcat,
that is)  I think it would be worth it if it saves me from a ticket and
higher insurance rates and..... Please, those of you that use the BearCat
scanners, please let me know if it has paid for itself?  Thanks

Franklin Mosley
98 GLX Black