RE: K-wire & indash stereo not a problem on *all* 98s - evidently

OK, sorry bout the lack of context.  This "problem" has been discussed and
re-discussed at length over on the GTI-VR6 list, which I also follow.

Basically, the problem stems from 2 things:

1) Sometime in the middle of the 98 model year, VW made a change to the
wiring harness that provides power to the indash stereo.  For some reason,
they started using an "intelligent" stereo that can communicate with the
VAG 1551 "scan tool" that the dealer uses to check the onboard computer.
This
change required that they provide the K-wire in the stereo wiring harness.
The
K-wire is the data-bus that the OBD-II computer, scan tool, and other
onboard
processors use to communicate.

2) There exists in the marketplace a very popular aftermarket
adapter/harness
made by Metra, used for installing aftermarket headunits into your VW. The
Metra adapter is wired in a particular way that causes +12V to be connected
to the K-wire.  This is not correct and evidently has been found to cause
problems, including damaged ECUs, damaged scan tools, etc.

3) VWOA issued a TSB on this very subject, directing the dealer to verify
that the K-wire is NOT connected to +12V, in any vehicle with an aftermarket
stereo.

For more details, you can find the original posts related to this in the
GTI-VR6
archives, which can be found at:

http://www.panix.com/~aqn/GTI_VR6/gti_vr6/library/HiFi_index.html

(username: driver, password: hired)

I have received some mail indicating that this problem may be restricted to
the
GTI only, but since many,many other things are common between the Jetta and
the
Golf/GTI platform, I thought it was better to check and be safe.  YMMV.

Matt Cleland					cleland@stlnet.com
98 Jetta GLX
Black/Biber