RE: Locking tank door and beepless alarm

At 10:51 PM +0000 8/28/98, cyng wrote:
>>I noticed two mods that I'd like to inquire about.  First, is the locking
>>gas door something that I can add?  I've always had a locking gas door on my
>>previous cars, I guess it's just a sense on security.  Secondly, how do you
>>"Beepless-Arm" your alarm?  As functional as it may be, it's kind of
>>annoying at times.
>
>I am going to be uncharacteristically unhelpful here, unfortunately.
>Locking gas door. Okay, this is not a) one where you pull a button
>inside and the door pops open (I hate those. I see them all the time
>BROKEN ... the door doesn't close, or you have to pry it open, or
>the wire which connects the lever with the mechanism has broken so
>you have to open the trunk, yadda yadda yadda ... One word: FORD).
>Nor is it b) one where you insert a key and unlock it. It's nothing
>more than the vaccuum-pressure mechanism which sends a pin into a
>hole when the doors are locked. It was removed in more recent years
>by VW because apparently people had been calling in by the hundreds
>saying, "How do I unlock/open my tank door?" WTF. Here's where I
>become unhelpful. Somebody recently (two months ago or so) started
>a thread on this mailing list about how one could install it in a
>recent Jetta using stock parts. It's doable, I think, since the
>little hole is still there and the hole where the pin goes is still
>there - just empty. Um, whomever it was, could you please clue us
>in on what progress you made? Thanks much.

I've done this install, as have several friends of mine. I would have
thought that people know about this by now, but apparently not.

See my web page at http://www.khan.org/Jetta/fueldoor.html for more
information.
(Coming soon, images of the install-- we got three of them from a junk yard
to install it in a Wolfsburg Jetta, a GTI-VR6, and a Wolfsburg Golf.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green