Re: Locking tank door and beepless alarm

Tom wrote:

>"How do I unlock/open my tank door?" WTF. Here's where I
>become unhelpful. Somebody recently (two months ago or so) started
>a thread on this mailing list about how one could install it in a
>recent Jetta using stock parts. It's doable, I think, since the
>little hole is still there and the hole where the pin goes is still
>there - just empty. Um, whomever it was, could you please clue us
>in on what progress you made? Thanks much.

See the attached URL from Khan:
http://www.khan.org/Jetta/fueldoor.html

>My alarm never beeped when armed. It's a '95 - an early '95
>(mid-'94 is its birthdate. I'm convinced that this is why it also
>has no DRLs. I don't think that cars manufactured in 1994 were
>required to have DRLs - I think that that legislation required it
>of cars BUILT in '95 or later ... thankfully for me).

My '95 was built in 8/94 and it had DRLs.  What was your the month
of your cars production.  Did you buy the car new?  I was able to
disable my DRLs by pulling the relay.

>Numerous
>folks have sent letters to the list saying, "I replaced my stereo's
>head unit, and now my alarm doesn't beep when I arm it! WTF?" Well,
>it's an odd thing. If your stereo's head unit (id est your tape
>deck itself) is not all the way in, your alarm won't beep when it's
>armed. Push it in hard and presto and all. It works. WELL ... having
>said that, I must now contradict it. In my particular case, it's not
>true. My head unit is the stock head unit, so it's very likely never
>even been removed. Plus, it's in as far as I can push it w/o my
>breaking it. Thus, it remains a mystery ... no beep when the alarm
>is armed (but the LED still blinks, gladly). Maybe you should pull
>your head unit out a tiny bit. ;)

I have had that problem with my car also.  I have fixed it by the same
way that has been suggested.  After I hooked up my keyless entry
and CD changer, my alarm did not beep when arming - only when
disarming.  At first I thought is was due to the keyless entry.  However,
I also heard it might be the head unit which I had to taken out to install
the cable to the CD.  It looked, felt and functioned like it was in properly
but it wasn't.  I tried to push it in but it wouldn't go in any further so I
pulled it back out, cleared the wires in the back and pushed it back in
until I heard two clicks (one on each side).  PRESTO - everything works.
BTW my head unit is also the factory "premium" one.

Stanton  '95glx