Re: 1999 Jetta SPotted SF

The new Jetta and Golf are a "completely" different car than the current model.
The New Beetle, Golf and Jetta, as well as the Audi TT, will be based on the Audi
A3 model not currently sold in the U.S.   No, Audi has no plans at this time to
import the A3 to the states.  One reason, I would guess, is the fact that the car
looks almost exactly like a Golf!  The Audi A3 is the only Audi model I know of
that has a transverse mounted drive train, and this I assume, is why the Audi
A3's chassis fits well into VW's product line and is a good replacement for the
existing vehicle.  As for the 1.8T, Audi does deliver this engine in this chassis
in Germany.  And logic would dictate that it will follow to the states.  Beside
we've all heard about the up coming Super Beetle with the 1.8T, which, again, has
the same chassis as the new Golf and Jetta.

An interesting thought is that although the A3 and New Beetle do not currently
have Syncro as an option, the infamous Audi TT, based on the Audi A3, will come
with a newly designed Audi quattro system standard on the 225hp model.  Audi will
be delivering Syncro/Quattro drive trains on the 99 Passat (based on the A4 and
A6 Quattros), who's to say they wont bring it to the lower models. :-)  Also with
the advent of Audi interior fittings on the Passat, expect to see similar
components in the new Golf and Jetta.

To view photos of the Audi A3 and new VWs, as well as Audi A3 specs, follow the
links below.  You will be surprised by the similarities between the new Golf and
Audi A3.

Audi A3 Gallery:
http://www.audi.de/rep/gallery/a3/ef_a3.html

Audi A3 Specs:
http://www.audi.de/rep/gallery/a3/ef_a3.html

New VW Jetta and Golf:
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/99models/index.html

Joseph Mann
President, Austin VW Club

PS:  With the VW chassis and Audi models being designated A3's and A4's there is
likely to be some confusion.  To my knowledge there are NOT related.  Audi's
current model line includes the A3, A4, A6 and A8.  VW's current Jetta III and
Golf III use the VW A3 chassis.  VW's new Beetle, Jetta and Golf models will use
the A4 Chassis.  Again this is NOT related to the Audi A4 model.