Thanks

 I just wanted to say thanks to all of you (again), this time for the
assistance with replacing the Bose stereo on my '98 GLX with an after market
unit. As stated by all of you, I was VEHEMENTLY told that I HAD to replace
the amp under the rear deck. Following all of your advice, I just hooked up
the stereo using only the + from the speaker outs on the system..incredible
difference. I had no idea that the car could create such bass with just a
head unit replacement. Oh, impedance was discussed earlier about the Bose
speakers, I took one out and hooked it up to a multimeter, they are 2ohms,
lower than the standard 4, but not too low to drive by many head units. As
it was also stated, you are not actually driving the speakers, but just the
amp using high level (speaker level) inputs..I haven't measured the
impedance there yet, but will post it when I get to playing under the deck
more.
  Oh, the Bose head unit was a Bit** to get out, the standard din tools (as
shipped by Crutchfield) were not the correct type.  I ended up using  a
couple of ice picks to finally pry little clips back far enough so I could
remove the stereo.
  Oh, and thanks for the tip about the air conditioning...sorry, still new
to the newsgroup and have not read all of the older threads...