Re: Thanks

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, "John A. Gersic" <jgersic@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>  I just wanted to say thanks to all of you (again), this time for the
> assistance with replacing the Bose stereo on my '98 GLX with an after market
> unit. As stated by all of you, I was VEHEMENTLY told that I HAD to replace
> the amp under the rear deck.

Did someone actually suggest that you yank the rear amp?  I know I
didn't...

> ... <SNIP> ... Oh, impedance was discussed earlier about the Bose
> speakers, I took one out and hooked it up to a multimeter, they are 2ohms,
> lower than the standard 4, but not too low to drive by many head units.

Actually, you're better off than that.  Multimeters, even nice old
analog Simpsons, don't actually measure impedance, but just resistance,
which is the DC component of impedance.  There's also an AC component to
impedance (called Reactance) which varies with frequency.  The number
used in a speaker's impedance spec is nominal impedance, which is an RMS
average taken across the audio frequency spectrum.  So the actual
impedance of that speaker is the 2 ohms DCR you measured, plus an
additional reactance.  So turn it up, you've got more ohms than you
thought.

Glad to hear your system is kickin!

Bruce Stapley