Re: OBDIII (Was: Re: doh! -Reply)

At 7:06 PM -1000 8/7/98, Stack wrote:
>Check out the attached url for a description
>of OBD3 from sema
>
>http://192.41.47.175/faq/obdIII.html#whatisobd
>
>Stanton '95glx (still trying to find the mags)

It could be possible that ODBIII has a spec that uses GPS data to CALCULATE
approximate speed of travel. Then that data could be STORED IN THE CAR.

I don't have to be an expert to refute the fact that your car will *NOT*
send velocity information BACK to the satellite. I don't know if anyone has
taken the time to create a stationary earth facility to relay information
to a satellite, but it sure as hell is a lot harder than simply receiving
the information. You need massive power as well as a sophisticated aiming
mechanism-- that which would be very difficult to mount on a stationary
Jetta, not to mention one that is moving at such-and-such a speed.

So what if the speed is even STORED in the car? It could be trivial for
even an inexperienced law student to get themselves out of a ticket, or sue
insurance agencies that take such information as proof of your driving
record.

It's one thing to prove that your car was exceeding the speed limit. It's
another one completely to a) assume you were driving it, b) that you are
financially responsible for tickets which are given in this fashion.

If you took such a 'ticket' to court, all you'd have to do is to
demonstrate that perhaps it was not you who was driving. And any time they
ask you a question that might possibly implicate you as the driver, all you
have to state is "I refuse to answer by the rights afforded to me by the
fifth amendment of the constitution of the United States, under the grounds
that my answer might incriminate me." It is the state's burden of proof
that you broke the law, and without your testimony (that they can't legally
obtain) they can't do it beyond a preponderance of the evidence, not to
mention a reasonable doubt.

The insurance agencies, is a slightly different situation, but surely those
agencies that try to use these methods will quickly be disfavored, and we
can all vote for our favorite agencies with our pocketbooks. They'll lay
off when it starts to affect the bottom line-- IF they even are legally
able to obtain the information.

V.P. Gore has been preaching about digital privacy these past two weeks,
and I know I'd be willing to be the test case that takes this issue to the
Supreme Court that decides that ODBIII information has two, and only two
purposes, and any other utilization is an infringement of our privacy:

1. To monitor and prevent the damage to our air, water, and environment by
those who have poor emissions.
2. As an aid to the consumer to utilize the best technology to maintain and
tune our cars.

OK, rant mode is now off. :)

-K

--