Re: Lights-On chime

>Wow I have 95' as well and I don't get any chime to leaving lights on. My
>problem is that I drive with FOG's all the time. I figure what the hell if I
>have DRL then the FOG's might as well be on...looks cooler. =} Gives me -1hp
>too. =}
>
>THERE'S A SEAT BELT LIGHT?

I WAS WRONG! DOH!
   Well, only partially.
   Okay. You know the cluster of idiot lights under the dials? Brake wear
sensor light (big dotted circle - orange), E-brake-in-on light (BRAKE -
red), and so forth. Well, there's a picture of a guy wearing a seatbelt,
in red. Okay. I experimented this morning before I left for work. I got
in the car. I turned it on. The light and the chime came on (the chime
is identical to the turning-the-car-on chime - do mi fa do mi fa do mi fa
and so on (incidentally, this chime is about a minor third lower and about
twice as fast as the one in a '92 CorradoSLC - if memory serves)). I put
the seatbelt's metal clip thingydohickymabob halfway into its slot. The
chime shut up but the light remained on. I pulled it back out. The chime
came back on and the light remained on. Then I guess the tunring-the-car-
on chime timed out and it shut up. Soon afterwards, the seatbelt light
turned off. Weird. I plugged in and went to work.
   As I said before, my '93 Grand Am (mine no longer - traded it in
towards the GLX. No regrets, but I did love that car quite a hell of a
lot) had such an idiot light. There was no turning-the-car-on chime, but
you could put in and take out the seatbelt in rapid succession and watch
the seatbelt light blink on and off in time - until it timed out, gave up,
and turned off. Maybe VWs don't have the seatbelt-is-on sensor hooked up
to the seatbelt light - only the turning-the-car-on chime.
   On second thought, perhaps it's not a turning-the-car-on chime and is
instead a put-your-seatbelt-on-you-moron chime. Hrm. I DO hope that you
wear your seatbelt, if only to avoid fines (in Maine, you can be pulled
over if a cop sees ANYBODY in your car not wearing a seatbelt ... and it's
a fine of about $50 for every person in the car w/o a seatbelt on).
   Then there're the DRLs. I don't have 'em. Car was manufactured (if
memory serves) in 7.94. No DRLs. The pervious owner did not disable them
(she was some rich lady who babied the car and din't know the first thing
about sporttuning or customizing). Weird, huh? When was yours built?
   -T

         /|     -=Thomas J. Boyer<cyng@lamere.net>=-     |\
         \|      -=Tsaim Kurros<pen.mip.net 4000>=-      |/