Re: Dirty Wheels

At 3:49 PM -0500 8/1/98, Michael & Carmen Keith wrote:
>My wife usually drives the Jetta because I have to drive the truck that tows
>my race car.  This is one of the hardships one must endure in order to go
>racing.  Anyway, because of this, I am not as diligent about cleaning the
>Jetta as I should be, & this has caused a problem that I'm hoping someone on
>the list can help with.  When I wash the car, there is some dirt that will
>not come off of the wheels.  It is most noticeable on the front wheels.  I
>haven't tried anything aggressive to remove it for fear of harming the
>wheels.  They are the stock GLX wheels, & I believe the dirt to be mostly
>brake dust although I am not sure.  Any tips on removing it would be greatly
>appreciated.

I've got two suggestions, one preventative, the other maintenance.

First, preventative: you can go out and buy Mintex Redbox (or better) pads
that have reduced brakedust to prevent buildup from even happening.

Maintenance, I've used several brake dust removing wheel cleaners, and most
of them work with either no, or moderate scrubbing. Patrick Sherman posted
a review of several of the products and rated them, and here's what he said:

>Quicksilver II: Poor/Fair
>EagleWheel Cleaner (All Wheel): Good/Excellent
>QuickSilver (Original): Excellent
>Zymol Wheel Cleaner: Poor/Fair
>NoTouch Deep Blue: Good/Excellent
>Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner: Poor

In short, EagleWheel and Notouch Deep Blue do a great job of removing dirt
from wheels. I forget what I use, I didn't make it a point to memorize the
product name, but I think I was using the original quicksilver stuff.

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX

(Bilstein HD/Neuspeed Sofsport coming Aug. 3rd
 Mintex Redbox Brake Pads coming Aug. 3rd
 K & N Drop-in Filter coming Aug. 3rd)