Dirty Wheels

My wife usually drives the Jetta because I have to drive the truck that tows
my race car.  This is one of the hardships one must endure in order to go
racing.  Anyway, because of this, I am not as diligent about cleaning the
Jetta as I should be, & this has caused a problem that I'm hoping someone on
the list can help with.  When I wash the car, there is some dirt that will
not come off of the wheels.  It is most noticeable on the front wheels.  I
haven't tried anything aggressive to remove it for fear of harming the
wheels.  They are the stock GLX wheels, & I believe the dirt to be mostly
brake dust although I am not sure.  Any tips on removing it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael Keith
'98 Jetta GLX