Re: MOD HOWTO: Installing locking gas door on 97 VW's.

> From: Khan M. Klatt <kmk@pacificrim.net>
> Subject: MOD HOWTO: Installing locking gas door on 97 VW's.

Thanks for the detailed info.  Much obliged.

> THE WAY THINGS ARE: 1997 Jettas (and probably GTIs) no longer have the
> locking gas pin in them, due to customer complaints. Apparently some VW
> owners couldn't figure out that you had to have all of the doors unlocked
> and the trunk unlocked to get access to the fueld door.

It actually is a big annoyance on the cars (95-96? G/J's and 95-97?
Passats) that have selective unlocking, locking fuel door, and no
dash-mounted lock switch.  I think the cars with the dash switch should
have the the locking fuel door (even though it kind of defeats the purpose
of selective unlocking) and I'm going to add it to mine.  BTW, I think the
new Passat has a console mounted button to pop the fuel door independent of
the other locks, which is the way it should have been done all along.

- -Chris