Re: weak coils and bad plug wires on 95 GLXs

My early '96 GTI-VR6 originally came with the (infamous) black plug
wires which failed at about 23k miles.  (Symptom: hard miss when driving
during rain; persistent "Check Engine" light.)  They were replaced under
warranty (with the newer red wires), but the problem persisted.  The
coils were also bad, which were also replaced under warranty.  Since
then it has run great, rain or shine.

If you want to try to reproduce a problem for the dealer, try filling a
windex-like spray bottle with tap water; spray a mist over the wires and
coils with the engine running while you're parked in a dark place.  If
you have bad wires/coils you'll hear and see the sparks at the offending
components.

How many miles is on your car?  Even if the 2/24 has lapsed, you may
still have luck getting them replaced under the emissions warranty.  I
don't recall how long that is, but I believe it is in the 50k mile
range.  Anybody have their warranty booklet handy?

Good luck,
- - Bob T.
  '96 GTI VR6 72k miles