Re: Pirelli P700Z 205/50-15 $71 at The TireRack

> From: Kevin Collins <collinsk@pacbell.net>
> ...they PROPERLY balance them (which ain't necessarily easy to find at
Bonehead's Tire
> Emporium) with the weights on the BACKS of the rims, where they belong.
- ---------
Hey Kevin,
	What are you doing over here on the GLX list?  And why the hell am I on
the GTI VR6 list again?  (OK, I know why.)   Anyway, for most cases you are
right about putting the weights on the inboard edge of the rim (static
balance) .  The exception is when the wheel has an imbalance that causes it
to wobble (as opposed to hop).  Then, by playing around with the settings
on the balancer, you can get it so that you have the weights set in a
little from the outside edge (behind the spokes, for instance, so they
aren't visible) and also on the inside edge (dynamic balance).  I did this
on my Passat when I had Borbet Type C's (and access to a balancer) and it
took care of a slight but persistent shimmy that I had thought was caused
by a rim or tire being out of round or true.  Just make sure the outer
weights clear the brake calipers.  Oh yeah, also put duct tape over
stick-on weights so they won't fly off when they get hot and/or wet.

- -Chris
Yeah, I ended up getting a Windsor Blurple Jetta GLX instead of the Candy
White GTI VR6 I had my eye on