Re: Engine cleaning

S. Joseph Mann wrote:

> I've got a 95 GLX that has never had it's motor cleaned.  I live in
> Texas and it's currently the dusty time of year around here.  Along with
> two years of road grime and grease, I now have a nice thick layer of
> dirt dust on my engine.
>
> I'm looking for advise on cleaning products, pressure washers vs. garden
> hoses, do's and don't, what to remove, and what to cover and keep dry.

Do I have some advice for you!!  I washed my engine compartment using GUNK and a hose, engine a little less than luke warm,
and the guy with the hose had only half-a-brain!! If you look at the spark plugs, the wires do not cover the hole in the
head, thus not protecting it from the water (am I wrong, or did my '90 Jetta GLI 2.0 16V plug wires have a cap-like thing
that snapped into place to shroud the plug wells??).  Well, mine filled up with about an inch of water, shorting out the
plugs when I started it.  It actually idled decent, but it would not run above that.  Three days later, after towing the car
to the dealer (not the one I usually deal with), the car was fixed.  The '95's have weak coils and bad plug wires, so these
both failed when the plugs shorted-out.  On a positive note, I have MUCH better top end power and improved fuel economy (so
the repair will pay for itself, right??).

I am anxious to see the recommendations from the group for performing this task, especially you folks who show your cars...

Shaun Farnham
Black 95, ND suspension (NS lowering springs, Boge Progas, NS bars)