Re: Factory Changer vs Head Unit

Message text written by INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM
>Simply put, the stock Bose Panasonic headunit does make a difference. In=
 =

sound audibly and technically.  Let me explain, I RTA'd both the stock =

deck and my Eclipse (and RTA measures frequencies.  Kinda like an =

equalizer, but it uses a mic instead of a line input).  Anyways, the =

slope on the Panasonic started dropping off at 14,000 hz.  This IS =

audible...Especially when listening to CD's.  The deck is essentially =

setup for playing FM with drops of at 14,000hz.  Of course this is at =

approx. 12db per octave but it is a definate difference.  The eclipse? =

Well baring speakers performance it was flat to 20hz.  This was playing =

a perfect sin wave at 90db (approx. 1 watt).  So don't be telling people =

it makes a difference that is not noticable.  Even though it _might_ =

seem to be a negligable (sp?) difference on paper...In the real world, =

where the ears don't lie; it makes a difference.  The only thing I can =

say to prove my point is.,...If you live near Los Angeles or San Diego, =

come listen to my stereo and tell me you can;t hear a difference.
Mark<

The only thing I can say is there's a mass of published double-blind data=

that shows that most people can not tell the difference between a good
system and a very good system except maybe in artificial controlled
environments. In the real world, in a stock automobile soundstage, with
stock speakers, at reasonable sound pressure levels, most people are easi=
ly
bamboozled into thinking there is an improvement with aftermarket head un=
it
CD/tape/FM play when there really is not. Much of the automobile
aftermarket stereo industry is based on delusion.  That's a fact.

Don't be telling people the stock VW "Premium" system is a piece of shit.=

It just ain't so. Ten years ago it would have been equal in sound fidelit=
to all but the most expensive aftermarket car units. Even today, unless t=
he
listener has fifteen year old female ears and has never been to a rock
concert, he/she will not notice a significant difference between the stoc=
head unit and a typical aftermarket unit worth the money and inconvenienc=
of an exchange. (Also, all aftermarket head units look ugly in the A3
Golf/Jetta dash). I'd advise someone looking to improve their stock
Golf/Jetta sound system to get better speakers and/or a sub-woofer before=

investing in a megapower head unit.