Re: Factory Changer vs Head Unit

Simply put, the stock Bose Panasonic headunit does make a difference. In
sound audibly and technically.  Let me explain, I RTA'd both the stock
deck and my Eclipse (and RTA measures frequencies.  Kinda like an
equalizer, but it uses a mic instead of a line input).  Anyways, the
slope on the Panasonic started dropping off at 14,000 hz.  This IS
audible...Especially when listening to CD's.  The deck is essentially
setup for playing FM with drops of at 14,000hz.  Of course this is at
approx. 12db per octave but it is a definate difference.  The eclipse?
Well baring speakers performance it was flat to 20hz.  This was playing
a perfect sin wave at 90db (approx. 1 watt).  So don't be telling people
it makes a difference that is not noticable.  Even though it _might_
seem to be a negligable (sp?) difference on paper...In the real world,
where the ears don't lie; it makes a difference.  The only thing I can
say to prove my point is.,...If you live near Los Angeles or San Diego,
come listen to my stereo and tell me you can;t hear a difference.

Mark

>Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:52:25 -0400
>From: Vaso Bovan <Vaso_Bovan@compuserve.com>
>Subject: Re: Factory Changer vs Head Unit
>To: "INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM" <jettaglx@igtc.com>
>
>Message text written by INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM
>>> This is not so. The later (1996+) factory unit is of good/adequate
>quality
>> for most human ears and has some features you lose if you install an
>> aftermarket unit . =
>

>For some people, perhaps.  But the factory head unit (even the bose
one) =

>deosn't cover a full 20Hz - 20KHz frequency range, so if you put a CD
>changer in, you're not getting full "digital" sound.
>
>I'll go see if I can dig up the specs.<
>

>I do electronics engineering for a living. I've seen the test reports
tha=
>show - above a certain level of audio system quality - most people
cannot=
> -
>in blind comparisons - tell the difference between systems, even though
>measurement instruments show differences in frequency response. People
>respond to artifical "brightness" or volume rather than to true sound
>fidelity. The VW Premium system is "good enough"  to compare with most
>premium aftermarket systems - especially when masked by lesser-quality
>speakers. Owners of pre-96 Golf/Jettas might note that their power
rating=
>- 12Wx4 - are lower than the 20Wx4 rating of later units. This may mean
>their units distort more at high volumes compared to later units - or
it
>may have no practical significance at all.
>
>Incidentally, contrary to most writers think, the VW Premium head unit
DO=