Re: Factory Changer vs Head Unit

Message text written by INTERNET:jettaglx@igtc.COM
>> This is not so. The later (1996+) factory unit is of good/adequate
quality
> for most human ears and has some features you lose if you install an
> aftermarket unit . =

For some people, perhaps.  But the factory head unit (even the bose one) =

deosn't cover a full 20Hz - 20KHz frequency range, so if you put a CD
changer in, you're not getting full "digital" sound.

I'll go see if I can dig up the specs.<

I do electronics engineering for a living. I've seen the test reports tha=
show - above a certain level of audio system quality - most people cannot=
 -
in blind comparisons - tell the difference between systems, even though
measurement instruments show differences in frequency response. People
respond to artifical "brightness" or volume rather than to true sound
fidelity. The VW Premium system is "good enough"  to compare with most
premium aftermarket systems - especially when masked by lesser-quality
speakers. Owners of pre-96 Golf/Jettas might note that their power rating=
- - 12Wx4 - are lower than the 20Wx4 rating of later units. This may mean
their units distort more at high volumes compared to later units - or it
may have no practical significance at all.

Incidentally, contrary to most writers think, the VW Premium head unit DO=
ES
have line outs for a separate amplifier. You have to know where to look.