PREMIUM Radio / CD add on - Final word...

Further research into adding a Clarion CD player to a GLX has yielded....

1. The Clarion 634 is inferior to the 635.  It's suspension is not nearly
as sophisticated as it's PRO-AUDIO series brother. It tends to SKIP on
bumpy roads. There are some other specs that make it slightly less
desirable too. CHOICE:  Clarion 635!!!

2. I have an EARLY '97 GLX... Premium audio (NOT BOSE). Any 6 CD Clarion
changer will work. The 12 CD changers will NOT work.

3. Volkswagen, despite using Clarion equipment, uses a proprietary
connector on the back of their Premium AM/FM/Cassette. The adapter cable
that you get with the Clarion CD changer, WILL NOT WORK. It has round, din
plugs on both ends. The Premium audio system requires a rectangular plug.
If you buy one from Crutchfield (or similar) they will probably sell you
the WRONG ONE! They do not have the VW proprietary cable. And since only VW
uses this cable, they'll GROSSLY overcharge you for it... about $75 so I'm
told... for a cable worth about $3!!! (There IS a place to buy it - see
below!)

4. 1997 GLXs are now PRE-WIRED with the proper cable that is needed!!! They
do this to reduce labor charges when you have a CD changer added later. It
is easier to add this cable during car construction than have to remove
trim and run the cable under the rugs, etc. Whether or not you ever add the
CD changer, the cable IS THERE!!! This turns the usual 2-3 hour install job
into a 10 minute one!!! Of course, greedy VW will probably charge you just
the same!

BE WARNED!!! Early '97s and previous year models WERE NOT PRE-WIRED! I
bought my '97 in December of '96 and it is NOT pre-wired. You can tell if
your car has the cable by opening the trunk and seeing if there is a loose
wire harness near the tail light assembly. It will have three wires and
terminate into a dummy plug... THIS IS THE CD CABLE!!! It runs up through
your car and into the back of the Premium audio deck!!! If you have it,
you're lucky. If not, READ ON!

5. If you have the cable, any Clarion 6 CD changer will hook up simply.
You'll be jammin' in minutes. About all you have to do is mount the changer
(the new version 635 & 634 are TINY compared to the previously offered 605)
and plug in the cable. There are two indents in the panel UNDER the rug on
the left side of the car which is there for the sole purpose of mounting
the changer. You'll have to push your screws through the trunk liner to
access them.

6. If you do not have the VW proprietary cable, you have two choices... BUY
one from VW and be prepared to take a financial lickin' or find a third
party that has these custom made. I have found such an establishment. In
fact, they are EXTREMELY knowledgable in ALL stereo upgrades/applications.
Furthermore, they have the 635 changer at an unbeatable price!!!  I was
quoted $290 for the 635, an extra 6 CD cartridge, the adapter cable AND
shipping!!! They have a WEB SITE and you can get all the info you need
there. I spoke with BOB! You can even Email them at audiotrn@gil.net ---
http://www.gil.net/~audiotrn/  Tell them I sent you!!! :-)

7. If you don't have the cable, you can also call VW Customer Relations at
(800) DRIVE VW then ask for Customer Relations. "Jennifer" is helping me
and the case number is 970226839. I called them to see if they would give
me the adapter since, if I had bought my car only weeks later, not only
would the cable have been there, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FACTORY INSTALLED
amking CD install a snap! If enough people ask for this cable, maybe
they'll come through with them. Jennifer was even going to see if the
dealer would install it. (I won't hold my breath here.)

*WARNING* I called Jennifer back today and she was busy, but a "TREENA"
helped (?) me. She was RUDE, INDIGNANT and made me VERY upset. She told me
that Jennifer was STILL looking into the matter for me, BUT VW has the
right to change models/options/etc. at will. She warned that me adding this
cable would be an illicit change to factory wiring and would not be
permitted. I said: "WOOOO! This cable is NOW factory installed in EVERY VW
and it is a VW part!" She said it's an unauthorized modification to factory
wiring. I replied that how can that be, since if VW installs the CD,
they'll put that exact same part in and now the factory does it for free!
SHE READ THE LETTER OF THE LAW TO ME AND IT WAS LIKE SHE WAS READING A
BOOK. I responded: So, if I have mud on my shoes and I get into my VW are
you saying that I've made an "unauthorized modiciation" to rugs? I proposed
then that changing the oil or spark plugs were unauthorized mods then too.
WHAT CRAP! She just clung to her her pitiful argument. I said: "That's
ridiculous... you buy a $26,000 car and VW won't give you a cable worth $3
that they give away to new owners anyway. It did not phase this POOREST OF
ALL REPRESENTATIVES OF VW!

Perhaps, that is what we need here in our GLX forum. If a member has ANY
type of difficulty with VW, we ALL CALL IN and site the case number and
officially register our vehement displeasure with them. THAT might make
them respond more appropriately to their customers. I get the impression
now that they don't give a damn about us.

So that's it!!! I hope this has been of some help. Don't let VW fool you.
You CAN put in a NON VW CD changer for a lot less money. You just need that
special cable/adapter that they instead, use to hold you hostage with.

My opinion is, if they won't give you the cable, get it from that other
source that I mentioned and FORGET VW!!! And let them know that if they
don't want our business, we can gladly take it elsewhere else.

What am I going to do? See if VW coughs up that adapter... either way, I'm
getting the 635 from the source listed about and, if I have to, I'll mount
it myself. You'll see Jesus before I pay VW nearly $600 for the same thing
I can buy elsewhere for less than half that cost!

I hope that has helped anyone wishing to upgrade their cars with a CD
changer.

Thom