Re: OBD-II and P-Flow Results!

>  Sheesh, now you're not just splitting hair, but splitting a flea's
>  hair at that!  |-)  We're not talking about molasses or motor oils
>  or anything like that.  It does not matter how dense or hot or
>  cold or thin the air is.  All that is incidental.  The important
>  thing is the bottom line:  how many O2 molecules we can get into
>  the cylinders to burn the fuel with.

Yes but air that is 20 degrees C hotter than the base air has A LOT less
O2 in it.  That's important!

>  The things that would affect the result (other than the target of
>  the measurement i.e. air box, filter etc.) may be:
>
>  o  Engine mods:  if one engine has cams, exhaust mods, chip (maybe?),
>     that may make it breath better than the other one.  Mark
>     Radelow (rpcprod@hotmail.com) didn't say whether the two GLX's
>     have mods downstream of the air filter.
I would have mentioned if it had major mods like that.  Both cars are
running P-CHIP'S.  The car with the P-Flow had a TT Exhaust (I think),
that would only increase breathing because of the reduced backpressure.
Such was not the case.

>  o  There may be differences in the under-the-hood layout such that
>     air flow under there is different for two cars.  I wonder if
>     that's such a big deal, since the airbox + filter would take
>     air from the same fender well in either case, and how much
>     would the under-the-hood layout has to differ to affect
>     air flow around the P-Flow?

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF IT!  Of course that have different airflows
underneath the hood. P-Flow sucks it in directly, airbox sucks it in
from the fender.  And YES it is a big deal, look at the results.

>> It
>> would also be interesting to see how much of the gain from the
"standard
>> airbox mods" is due to cone removal vs K&N filter vs. pre-screen
>> removal.
>
>  Yes, it would be most interesting.  I have some doubts about whether
>  removing the cone helps.

I have sincere doubt's removing the cone does anything.  EXCEPT, improve
sound above 3k at WOT or near it.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Mark Radelow
VW Jetta Homepage