Re: Fubas and flames (short or long)

I pulled this off the net about 6 months ago.  I hope it helps someone.
Not sure if it's ever been posted on the list.

I have replaced the stock radio in my 1996 Jetta GLX with an after
market
radio and CD changer. The job wasn't to difficult once I was able to get
the
correct wiring harness and antenna wire adapter from a local car stereo
shop. The stock speakers in the car really sound great. I was planning
on
replacing them too, but after listening to them I no longer see that to
be
necessary.

One problem I am having with an after market radio is that my AM
receptions
sucks! I have talked with a couple different radio install guys and one
guy
at United Audio was able to fax me a fix. This is what the fax said:

"Some of the new VW head units do not have an external turn-on lead for
their amplified antenna, or at least one you can see. This relates to
the
vehicles with the roof mounted antennas. The center conductor on the
coax
cable is used as the turn-on lead for the amplified antenna. What this
means
is, for those who attempt to add an aftermarket head unit will now need
make an adapter to turn the amplified antenna on. The diagram below will
show how to solve this problem using the recommended parts we have
listed.
You will need two capacitors (C1 = 100 uF 16V, C2 = 0.001 uF) and one
inductor (L1 = 0.06 mH - 0.085 mH)"

This information came from the "Alpine Fast Fax" service. If you would
like
receive a copy of this document the phone number is: (800) TECH 101, and
the
document number is #9354. It is an automated fax service so you do need
way to receive faxes.

Has anyone else had this problem or made this modification? If so please
share your wisdom.

Thanks,
Mitch
mitch@eagletest.com