Re: Tech: Battery Talk

At 06:17 PM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>	Okay I just got a new battery for my car at the dealer. I spent the extra
>on an Autobahn battery and think I may have spent too much. My dealer
>offered an Interstate battery for $118 and an Autobahn fro $148. They told
>me they couldn't use my stock insulation jacket on the interstate, which is
>one of the reasons I went with the A-bahn. The other was a better warranty
>(1 year vs. 5year).
>	Talking to my dad, he said he went to a gas station that was an interstate
>dealer for my sister's Audi. They had to special order the right size for
>her car, but installed it and used the original Audi insulation cover for
>it to boot. All this was for a measley $75. Well now that I am getting used
>to the new SUCKER tatoo on my forehead I was wondering what you guys do
>when you need a new battery and how much you spent? Anyone ever try out
>NTB.
>	On ANOTHER RELATED BATTERY ISSUE, is jump starting a car. At the VW show
>at Autohaus this summer the battery on my wife's Corrado died and we jump
>started it. I was then told by Corrado listers that I wanted to attach the
>jumper cable ground end to a ground other than the ground side of the
>battery. At the time I used a looped metal protrusion near the battery but
>on the engine (VR6), ditto on my Jetta two days ago. My question is why not
>just attach it to the battery? Also is there a rule like attaching it to
>the running car first or detaching it from the running car first etc? Last,
>this morning I returned the favor to Joe Public by jumpstarting some girl's
>car. With my car running she then unhooked her car and accidently touched
>the sides, sending off sparks and looping my battery back in on itself
>momentarily. Stupid b***! Anyway, is there any danger of my 24 hour old
>battery damaging itself from her little mistake. Thanks-G

George,

Your probably ok on the battery because it was short and sweet(pardon the
expression).
However, the thing you really need to watch out for is shorting out the
voltage regulator
diodes.  Once you cook them it may over or under charge your battery. I
generally do not jump start with cables for this reason. I've seen and had
several instances similar to yours and generally find the diodes and battery
last longer when you avoid the cables.

BTW I have found the Autobahn batteries to be superior and long lasting. I
just replaced the battery in my '89 Wolfsburg Jetta last January.  It was
the original battery
from 1989.  If you take care of them they will take care of you for a long time.

Bob

Robert J. Malinka
60 East Lake Drive
Amityville, NY. 11701