Re: BOSE CD-Changer in 98 GLX WARNING

Bill Schleusner wrote:

> Jason,
>
> I could swear I was reading my own message regarding the Panasonic CD-Changer.
> I purchased a CX-DP601 from Best Buy over the weekend for 129.99 thinking that
> it would plug right in. WRONG, it seems the DIN pin in the trunk is made
> specifically for a Clarion CD-Changer.  I had the parts guy at my VW dealer
> pull a changer from out of stock and the Clarion changer had the correct plug
> configuration.
>
> I JUST got off the phone today with Crutchfield regarding returning the adapter
> lead they sent me, Part #541VWPAN96, which was supposed to work on my changer.
> They said this adapter was supposed to go from the head unit to the wire
> included with the CD-changer running to the trunk. Who wants to re-wire the
> car? They are not quite yet up to speed with the BOSE system.  Maybe when there
> are more than 3,000 Bose equipped GLX's on the road they might make an adapter.
> I'm with you though, do I keep the Panasonic until 1Q98 or wait and buy a new
> model next year.  CD-changers may have come down in price (like all
> electronics) by then.
>
> I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with the Panasonic unit.
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> >From Bill Schleusner
> 97 GLX  Candy White
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Bill

I just finished installing a Panasonic changer like you described.  The
GLX came with either a Clarion or a Panasonic head unit.  The Clarion
plugs right in at the trunk. (pre wired) My friend installed the Clarion
12 disc changer.  It powers up but the head unit does not see it.  Any
ideas?

My car has the Panasonic unit.  I cut off the male end on the Panasonic
changer cable and soldered on a female end.  Still did not work!  I
talked with the boys at PIE who makes adapters for most cars.  I bought
his adapter that plugs into the head unit.  Still did not work!  I
called my now close friend back at PIE.  He said it should work.  I
returned the Changer for another one and it works fine.

The Panasonic Expert

Larry
97 GLX WHITE 2 Mo. old and Loving it!