Re: Suspension Setup Suggestions

On Nov 7,  9:16am, ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: Suspension Setup Suggestions
>      As far as Sports vs. HD in the
>      VR6 aplication, their damping is identical, the only difference
is the
>      amount of travel, the Sports are designed for a lowering
application,
>      and the HD's for only slight modification (ie. NS Softsport
springs
>      that only lower 0-0.25inches.
>      andy

Actually Andy, the features of the Bilstein HDs and Sports depend on
where you get them.  I did a lot of calling around a few months ago when
buying my suspension and learned some interesting things about the
Bilsteins.  First off there are really two types of Bilsteins you can
buy for a VW, the kind sold directly by Bilstein and the kind made by
Bilstein especially for Neuspeed.  The "Made for Neuspeed" Bilsteins HDs
and Sports are not identically valved.  The Sports are ~20% more
aggressively valved than the HDs in this case.   On the other hand the
actual Bilstein/Bilstein Sports and HDs are identically valved.

The one difference between the Sports and HDs which are true across
these two "makes" are that the Sports have a shorter shaft than the HDs
since they were made for those who wanted to use lowering springs.

I have the Konis/Neuspeed Sport setup in my car and I'm probably gonna
swap the springs for some SPAX springs.  I just feel that the Neuspeed
Sports are not so well matched to the Konis.

/alf/