Re: Suspension Setup Suggestions

ANDREW_ATWELL@HP-PaloAlto-om20.om.hp.com wrote:

>      Well I have driven A3's equiped with Bilstein's. Boge, and SPAX, and
>      the Bilstein's seem to be the most "supple" in their ride while
>      retaining the same firmness and handling.  They're also the most
>      expensive.  I would have to say that the SPAX would have the second
>      best ride quality as well as adjustiblity, and the Boge comming in
>      last (they just seem to have a cheap feel to them, while performing
>      well they don't feel as solid.)  I cann't comment on the Koni's as I
>      have not experience with them, but all I have heard is good.  I have
>      also heard bad things about Tokico's.
>      andy

Thanks for the reply.  I was (still am) thinking of going with NS lowering springs
with either Boge or Bilstein shocks.  I have been going back and forth between the
two as I have heard good things about both setups.  I guess I just need to drive a
car with each setup, but, since I can't -- at least not right now -- can you (or
anyone) compare the two with say, a 16v GLI's suspension?

Also, I realize that Bilsteins are *generally* considered better products, but for
someone who does not plan on racing (much?), does lots of highway driving, and
drives mostly for fun otherwise, are the Bilsteins worth the extra cash?  Before, I
was assuming that the Bilsteins were going to be stiffer than the Boges.  I guess I
was wrong.  One more thing -- were you talking about the HDs or the sports?

thanks again
- -erik