Re: performance mods

At 10:50 PM 11/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Also, I'd like to add-on some better floor pedals. Every time it rains,
>my sneakers "squeak" when playing with the clutch pedal. The stock brake
>pedal seems a bit small as well. Any recommendations here for high
>quality metal pedals?

I installed the Momo "Course" pedal set (the newer version) in my GLX. It
did take some minor modifications to get them to work.

The brake an clutch pedal covers are "by the book" but because VW's brake
pedal is formed and intergrated into the brake arm the Momo bracket will
not fit. I ended up drilling a single hole into the upper right corner of
the pedal since the bracket would not clear the bend. Getting the remaining
brackets on did require some bending and time to secure but they have been
fine for the 5 months I have had them.

They are not showing any signs of wear but I do have a friend who put +100
miles per day on his car and his pedals are looking a bit scraped... to be
expected.

As far as the "slip factor," I can't say there is marked improvement but
they are MUCH larger pedal than stock. The distance between the brake and
accelerator is similar to a 5-series I drove years ago making heal-toe easy.

One last note: don't forget to cut the extra screw length off when they are
installed or you run the risk of ripping the carpet with the clutch. Also,
skip the Momo dead Pedal, it is very much out of proportion to the rest of
the pedal set (too small). ABT's is sweet but very expensive.

- -Dave Rizzolo
 97 GLX