Re: Blue Lights - User Opinions

HMercerCo@aol.com writes:

> GLXers-
>
> I recently got some 55W H3 bulbs for my fog lights that are these
> "blue-coated" type that I am starting to see on M-Benz, etc..  They replaced
> the same wattage units.  Has anyone tried these for this or other
> applications?  Anyway, they do not seem to have the light output from the
> drivers seat of what I replaced.  But, they look as bight looking directly at
> them.  Obviously, (maybe not obviously) they must loose some "real" lighting
> ability due to the coating cutting down on the true output.  Is this the
> case?  Should I have ordered a higher wattage?  My feeling has been that a
> higher wattage would be too hot for these fog light assemblies.  What has
> been your experience on this?  Has anyone put higher wattage bulbs here?

These "blue bulbs" on Mercedes, Porsche, etc... are actually a xenon
discharge system.  These systems use a high voltage power supply to
excite xenon gas to produce a brighter light than that of conventional bulbs.
If you could buy them for your jJetta, you'd be looking at about $1000/side
(not a typo).

I'm sorry to say, but what you got was "ripped off".

- -> Paul <-